Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Adventures of Blowfish

Hi everyone!
Friday was my first dinner out with the teachers and administration from my school. My main Co-Teacher informed Sam (the English teacher from England) and me that we would be dining on......... blowfish! There were about 40-50 of us and we had a banquet room at a restaurant specializing in blowfish.


Here is how the meal went...
           The table contained multiple side dishes (of course), Hite (beer), Soju (Korean liquer), Cider (7-Up), and an orange soda like Fanta. The first course was blowfish skin and cabbage in a spicy, red sauce. I thought I was eating blowfish for multiple bites, but then I realized I was only eating the cabbage when I took an actual bite of the chewy, curly-shaped seafood-tasting thing.
            The second course was fried blowfish! It tasted like a fish-and-chips kind of thing. It was pretty good. I think I just liked the fried batter, but hey, it's been awhile since I've had fried foods. Also on the plate was fried onion rings (probably one of the best onion rings I've ever had...I just wished I had some ketchup), and fried sweet potato. That was really good too.
            The third course was a really spicy blowfish and bean sprouts dish. I only ate the bean sprouts. The huge blowfish chunks were a little too intimidating for me.
            The fourth course was blowfish soup--blowfish, bean sprouts and garlic. The broth was very fishy, so I just ate/sipped the parts with garlic pieces. The soup was served with white rice. Soup and rice are always at the end of a meal. I guess it's a digestive thing?
            After dinner, the principal sang a song for everyone! Her voice was actually really good! Totally surprised me. Apparently after dinners everyone sings. At this particular dinner, the evening ended when the principal finished her song. Next time, everyone will be singing! I don't even want to think about how embarrassing that will be. Maybe I will be exempt because I don't know any Korean songs??? Doubt it!
            I wish I had photos to post to show you each dish, but I didn't have my camera :(


Anyway, I ate blowfish in two of the four courses and tried each one. Would I order blowfish again? Probably not. Did I enjoy the experience? Absolutely! I wonder what the meal at my next teacher dinner outing will consist of...


love and miss you all!
Jenn

4 comments:

  1. Adventures of Blowfish? I like and enjoy reading the story.
    By the end of your tour,you will eat more fish plates than any time in your life.
    Stay warm and hope you and the South Korean people be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always were up to adventures and challenges, including food tasting. So happy that you are doing well and happy and most of all safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ode to the blowfish! nice going out of the el comfort zone jenn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job on blowfish update blog asap!

    ReplyDelete