Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It's not always fun and games

When Jenn and I started this blog, we had the intent of talking about our time here in Daegu. Which consists mainly of teaching, teaching, and...teaching. Instead, we ended up writing mainly about our weekends, and our recent vacations and almost nothing about our everyday lives! So what is it like on a normal day for us? What are some of the obstacles that we have to deal with everyday? Well, I can't speak for Jenn, but here are some of the struggles that I have to deal with when it comes to teaching Middle school students.

I read somewhere (don't quote me on this) that the lowest level of motivation across grade levels occurred during Middle School. I remember reading that and thinking, dang,why am I not surprised? My main struggle in class is getting students motivated. Sure they like me, yeah I'm "Handsome" teacher, but as soon as the class starts, its a daily grind getting students to care. The textbook might as well be covered with fire ants, judging by the way the students look at it when it's time to do one of the exercises. Noise level and classroom management are also pretty difficult. I'm not gonna lie, its hard as heck sometimes trying to get 40 8th grade boys to be quiet right after their PE class. I guess if I could say anything about teaching, it would be that it is mentally exhausting. You put so much effort into your classes, that sometimes it can be pretty disheartening when things go wrong or students just give you a blank stare. But...one thing that was told to me at orientation has helped a lot. Be prepared to fail. One of our lecturers told us that, and he was right. Classes are going to suck sometimes. Nothing to be done about it except get back to the drawing board and figure out something that does work. 

But then you get the classes that are just out of control. Maybe its right after lunch, or the final class before the day ends. Whatever it is, it just doesn't flow. That's when you can't really do anything but make the class write lines. Literally. Last week, I made one of my boys classes write lines for the last 20 minutes of class. That's right. 20 minutes! That's how awful they were. And today? I had to teach them again! Well, I walked into the classroom determined to do better than last week, and bam. They were so much better behaved! Maybe I should be a hard-ass more often huh? 

Anyways, writing this post has made me realize why I don't really write about the bad days here. It's kinda depressing! And I like to stay positive you know? But, in any case, these are some of the things I have to unfortunately deal with on a daily basis. I don't mind to be honest. I keep a short memory, and it helps to remind myself that they're just kids and that middle school IS kind of a drag sometimes! Boys will be boys right? Besides, out of all my classes, only 2 or 3 give me struggles like the ones that I've mentioned above (doesn't seem like much, but those classes can really drag you down man!). The majority of my classes are awesome! Seriously. They are. Especially my advanced 9th grade classes. Anyways, Jenn and I will try to write more about our time here in Daegu, and not just our weekends away! :)

Bye!


5 comments:

  1. I am just checking on the blog. Surprisingly that you are talking about the struggling in the classroom and with some students. Well I have had so much fun following you guys trips (on the blog) and I sometimes forgot that you are there to teach mainly. You are so right.
    Middle school age can never be that easy. Think about you use to have a homeroom teacher and all the cool things in your elementary. Here come, do I am in the middle? Am I really free from being chaperon? (I actually still scare.) And soon I will have to be in the High school? Am I ready? The questions could go on and on.
    And that is why many of these in the middle (school) act out Just as you said. Anyway, hope I didn’t add up the pressure to you.
    “Be prepared to fail” is interesting.
    These students do give you a lot of experiences because they are a tough age group.
    Good luck and be prepare to the unexpected each day from the classroom. You will be fine and you will be a great teacher or a great school psychologist in the future. Thanks for the story but let’s go back to your trip stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always great to read whatever you or Jenn write about, whether it is your everyday or a trip or even just lunch. But what is good every now and again is to stop and reflect on the everyday to not just let your blog followers know, but more helpful for you too to actually write it down to gain some new or forgotten perspective. Good luck with your boys! Miss you. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember most parts of middle school being a drag, when it came down to it though i felt like the teachers were always the ones to set the mood in each class. At least youre not one of those teachers that just has you copy off of a book almost everyday like one or two of my instructors in middle school, with no guidance what-so-ever. Although, from my own experience helping high school students (drama on a different level haha), it almost seems like a selfless rewarding experience, but like you said drama never exceeds being able to guide and see them develop into knowledgeable young adults. My hat is off to you sir. keep the dream alive.

    p.s reading that post reminded me of those days in school where i was just like " i just want to go home, school is lame" but not thinking about the teacher haha funny how things are different when you get older. perspectives really come into play.

    - Jimmie

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mom, don't worry mum, we'll update you on our weekend adventures soon!

    @Mama J, I agree, thanks!

    @Jimmie, thanks for the comment man. I enjoyed it, and it definitely gave me a boost. Always enjoy your thoughts man, keep reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 90%success 10%failure is ideal for progress in life!

    ReplyDelete