Monday, May 2, 2011

Service!!

The one word that every foreigner in Korea should love to hear. To be more specific, when a Korean says to you, "service," what he or she really means is that they are about to give you something. For free. And surprisingly (or maybe not), we get a lot of "service!"

Let's make a list of the free things that me or Jenn have received so far...

1. After buying my bike, the guy kept saying service...and I ended up with a new bike, and  a brand new bike lock.
2. After buying tangerines from the very friendly fruit stand man (who we go to all the time), he gave us a big smile, said service, and added some extra tangerines to our bag.
3. Bought me and Jenn our usual order of donuts, and the nice lady insisted on giving me one more. With a friendly service thrown in there.
4. Every time we eat out: Service drinks (non-alcoholic...), service bread, service salad, service dessert, service coffee, FREE FREE FREE :)
5. Every time we go to Hi-Mart (an electronics store), we get free popcorn. I'm not sure if its service, but its free. So I'm going to count it.
6. Daegu Immigration Office, free coffee. Cell phone store. Free coffee. Any place where you're trying to buy something...usually has free coffee.


Ummm, well, I'd add more if I could think of some. But I can't. All I know is that when I hear the word "service," I know that I'm about to get something free. And did I mention no tipping? I LOVE SERVICE!!! (and now some completely unrelated pictures of me and Jenn with statues!!)



3 comments:

  1. That is very interesting. Is it possible that it got shorten from the word free service? People probably admire your guys and that is why they want to give more SERVICE stuff to you.

    Tipping is American culture.
    Again,that is a short and fun story to learn. Love you both,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's adopt "service" here too. What a great way to do business. Every customer walks out happy. Cute pictures. Miss and love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mickey must have taught in korea too !question can you ask for service

    ReplyDelete