Sunday, April 24, 2011

Just some thoughts on Korea so far



Well, didn't really do much this weekend! Just took a load off, relaxed a little. So...no adventure to describe, but I thought I'd just make another list of a few things about Korea.


Some things I like about Korea so far...

  • I like how I can leave my bike outside the store and not worry about anyone stealing it while I run in to get some groceries.
  • I like how I can get from one side of Daegu to another in less than 30 minutes...for 95 cents.
  • I really like the transportation system here in Korea. I love their trains, KTX (bullet train?), and subways. You really can get by with no car. Even Taxis are cheap!
  • I like my students...at least most of them :)
  • I like walking around our part of town and having Korean students bow to me or Jenn. Or say hello. Or just smile at us excitedly and giggle as they run past us. Maybe I just like being noticed. Hehe :)
  • I like my school lunches...for the most part. Last week we had a day where it was Pork Cutlet and gravy and cream of potato soup!
  • I like the little stores and grocery places all around the area. I used to think I had to go to a big chain store to get fresh produce and other things, but now I'm starting to realize that the better deals are at these places.
  • I like the markets on Monday and Thursday. Fresh fruits, vegetables and fried street food for cheap! We got these little fried bread things that taste like the ones I used to eat in Thailand. Remember Mom? We used to eat it with condensed milk I think?
  • I like my gym, and how close it is to my school/apartment. Makes it easier to make myself go there.
That's it for now, and of course there are some things about Korea that I have had trouble adjusting to, but I don't like to dwell on those aspects. I mean, why be negative right? I will say though that most of it is just cultural differences, and that the most important thing is to stay open and understanding. Like, if a kid is asleep in one of my classes, let him/her sleep. Don't take it too personally. The kid is literally at school from 8 to 4, then a private school from 5-10. Then he/she has to do homework for 2-3 hrs and its more of the same Monday Thru SAT. That's right. Sunday is usually their only day off. I don't envy them, thats for sure. I do understand why Korea's education is ranked so high internationally now. Here is a youtube video that a Korean student about how one of his days goes:
AND, here is a video of some incredibly cute puppies that me and Jenn saw when we were walking around downtown the other night. I want one so bad!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah. It is nice to just hang around home to finish up little house tasks stuff.
    In Thai,we call Patong-go those fried bread. It comes in a pair so many people like to compare those fried bread as lover or good buddy forever stuff like that.
    It is very tasty snack with morning coffee and the kids will dip Patong-go with custard like sauce.
    The gas price here is keep going up like $4.99 per gallon now.
    That little pup pie is so funny.
    Thanks,Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg i want that puppppy! i love how its eating the window lol and it looks like a q tip exploded!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaime that is the PERFECT description for the puppy!Imagine a whole row of puppy pet stores like this one. Needless to say, we spent a long time on this one street downtown!

    ReplyDelete