Wednesday, July 27, 2011

K-Pop Dancing in Daegu!

Hi everyone!


As promised so long ago, here is my blog about K-Pop dancing!


First of all, what is K-Pop?? Well, it's Korean Pop music. When I say that k-pop is super popular and the k-pop singer/performers are famous, I mean that K-Pop is literally everywhere and the singers become the celebrity crushes of practically everyone. You cannot walk down the street without hearing a K-Pop song coming out from the stores (especially cell phone stores). The songs are crazy popular!! A song will be released and suddenly, it is everywhere. Each week or so, a new song is released. These singers grow up in the k-pop business, training for many years before they become part of a group to eventually release songs. They perform the songs on famous tv shows and events. The dance choreography to these k-pop songs become the "it choreo" of the moment. I heard that the choreo is available to dance instructors so that they can learn it to teach at their studios. Anyway, the choreo to the K-Pop music is what I learn in my K-Pop dance class!!!


My dance instructor at G-Style Dance studio at Sinmae is amazing :) She is sooooo good at breaking down the choreo into more simple pieces before putting it all together in a sequence. AND, thanks to her, I know how to count 1-8 and know the words for left, right, and applaud :) She learns the choreo so quickly that the week after a new song is released, we learn the choreo in class. She teaches us at a relatively slow pace (according to the overall level of dancers in the class) and it takes 1-2wks to learn. Because it is choreo that the singers do while performing, it is usually pretty simple. The best one was to "Breakdown"  by Kim Hyun-Joong. I hate to admit it, but the male K-Pop choreo is so much more fun! I think because the a lot of the female choreo is cutesy/sexy. When a song is not released during the week, she creates her own choreo to other songs. This week was to "On the Floor" by J-Lo! SOOOOO much fun!!!!! Sometimes, my teacher videos the class doing the choreo when it is finished and almost always, she posts her dancing the choreo so the people in the class can go to her studio website and practice. 


You can check out the K-Pop music/choreo at: http://club.cyworld.com/gstyledance
On the left, under "My Dance STYLE is G", click "master move" to see her dance. Click "members move" to see the K-Pop classes! Sometimes I'm in it--just depends which class she records. Oh ya, that's the other thing. There are 8 K-Pop classes during the week. I pay for 3 classes/wk and I get to choose which ones I go to! Usually, I go to Tues/Thurs at 8 and Fri at 7 mostly because the studio is 15mins away and it's difficult to come home from school at 5, make dinner, eat dinner and leave my apt by 6:40 to get to a 7pm class. 


Anyway, K-Pop dancing is a lot of fun. An added bonus is that I keep up with the newest K-Pop songs. Unlike the US, the songs are super popular here for a couple weeks before it gets fazed out for the new releases. Without my class, it would be much more difficult to know what is still popular, what is brand new, and what is considered "old" already. 


And that's my post about K-Pop dancing!  Bye everyone!

View from the studio window! (Studio is 7th floor at the Sinmae main intersection)

Sorry it's blurry. This is the amazingly clean floor and mirrors!

The waiting/relaxing area in the entrance.

G-Style Dance (written in Hangul) the door!

5 comments:

  1. What fun for you Jen. I am so happy you get to continue dancing as you are so good at it and I know you love it. Please post some video of you dancing when you can. Love, Kisses and Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kpop sounds so cool! i wanna see a skype dance video pleasssee!!!! next time we skype! chick chick yea! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a long time coming, but so happy you are dancing again. It looks like an amazing studio and fun too. I can still pick you out of any crowd, big or small!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm really interested in taking a class like this here in Daegu. Could you possibly give me some more information about this dance studio? :) I can't find any information online! TT^TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for reading!! Here's some more info~

      The G-Style Dance Studio is located next to Sinmae Station (green line heading east) outside exit 7. If you look up from exit 7 at the huge building, you can see G-Style on the top floor. It's the building next to the Soul Fitness gym. I'm not still taking classes, so I can't give you any pricing information. If you call one of the numbers in the photo above, she might be able to tell you more about class prices and times. The owner/instructor is super nice and friendly, but also shy when speaking English. You might be better off stopping by in the early evening to talk in person. Oh, and I was able to "try out" a class before deciding to join. Happy dancing ^-^*

      Delete