Saturday, August 6, 2011

First Semester. Done. And a little reminiscing about teaching...

Well, that's the end of one semester!!!


Can't believe that it has already been 6 months since Jenn and I got here. I still remember being incredibly nervous for my first ever class, and now I'm...still nervous. But much, much improved from that first day. I know our blog is almost all about our trips, so I thought I'd just talk a little about my first semester here.


First things first, middle school is tough. I imagine that it'd be tough anywhere though. The kids are usually sleepy, unmotivated, and lackluster. I used to work at Target, Burger King, customer service jobs, and if I was having a bad day, well, I could usually get away with it. Here, it's completely different. If one class is a total fail, and puts me in a bad mood? I can't let it show, because 10 minutes later, I have a completely different class. 22 classes, over 600 students, makes memorizing names nearly impossible. 5-6 classes everyday makes coffee a necessity. 7 co-teachers means constantly adjusting to different teaching methods and attitudes. The Korean school system means constantly expecting the unexpected. Schedule changes, right before your class starts. Classes getting canceled...then un-canceled, 10 minutes later. Students misbehaving, students being too loud, students not participating. It's no wonder I don't blog about teaching more often huh? Hehe. 


BUT...here comes the good part. I still have 2 or 3 classes where I walk in, and the students literally start clapping because they're so excited to see me. I have a bunch of 7th grade boys who love English class, and are always trying to do their best to impress me. The students are given opportunities to be creative, and they always surprise me (in a good way) with their ideas. Reading a mock English newspaper article and seeing that I am featured in it as the long lost father of a student who apparently looks like me? Hahaha. Seeing a student just laughing or smiling during my class. Seeing students speak English in an activity without realizing it, just because they are enjoying themselves that much. Going through a powerpoint or Prezi presentation and hearing oohs and aahs at my technical skills. Being able to do a Summer English camp, and having the kids create their own movies. Going to Jenn's elementary school for a summer camp, and having a complete blast teaching kids about Superheroes (using English of course). Having a student come up to me after class to shake my hand before he left for summer vacation. The constant snacks and coffee that I get from my always friendly co-workers. The always great lunches and dinners I've had with my English co-teachers where we talk about teaching, Korea, California, and just life in general. The cultural trip that I went on with my VP and Principal. Walking to a temple, drinking fresh mountain water. The amazing friends and fellow English teachers that I have met here in Daegu. It's these things and more that make me not regret any of the time that I've spent here so far. If I could do it all over again, I would.


So all in all, I'd have to say that it's been a good first semester. Bring on the second!! (Which is supposedly much harder, but hey, one day at a time right?)


We're off to Thailand and Jeju tomorrow, so we'll probably be writing a big update about that 3-4 weeks from now. Peace!

3 comments:

  1. It's always good to reflect on what one has done, is doing, as we go through each stage of life. There is no doubt that despite the challenges, you will be successful at each stage. And yea, one day at a time..always a good philosophy..happy vaca...

    much love

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . .its been awhile since ive read your blog posts, but much respect to you guys out there. Its one thing to do all of these things here in the U.S with american kids, and its another to do it in another country with a language/cultural barrier to begin with. As i said though, you guys are awesome, i hope your experiences keep getting better as time progresses. cheers

    - Jimmie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments!

    Good hearing from you both, it's always nice to know that people actually read this! (motivates us to write more ^^ )

    ReplyDelete