Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Getting New Glasses in Korea!

After hearing about how cheap and easy it was to get new glasses here, Jenn and I finally decided to get some for ourselves. We headed to the nearest store near our homes, called Davich Optical chain store. We think they mean DaVinci, because the Korean lettering translates to: "Davichi." 

So we walked in, and told the store guy we wanted new glasses. After giving the both of us free eye exams, he showed us how the store was organized. There were glass displays of eyeglass frames, and each display had a different value. Jenn and I looked at the cheapest displays first of course. =D 

It took a while for us to decide what frames we wanted, because there were so many, but eventually we did. Afterwards, the store guy asked us what kind of quality lens we wanted. I showed him my old glasses lenses to compare, and he just kind of looked at it in disgust and said, "No, low quality." (How did he know I got it from Wal-Mart?!?). Anyway, when we found out how cheap it was to get the highest quality lenses, we did! 

After that, the only thing left to do was wait while they made our glasses for us. We sat down, they made us some coffee, and after about half an hour, they were ready. Here is the cool part, the guy had this tub full of beads? and using that, he was able to change the frame of the glasses to match our face. So he would put the glasses on our faces, see if it fit, and then dump the glasses into the tub of beads to adjust it accordingly. Jenn and I just thought that was really cool. Afterwards, they gave us a membership card, a free calendar, and a free coffee mug! We love free stuff! Oh, and best of all? How much did we pay for this? Let's recap: Eye exam, new frame, new lenses, and all high quality? 70 bucks! That's it! What can I say, there are some things Korea just does better, and this is one of them. We also highly recommend DaVich Optical (http://www.davich.co.kr/index.html) to anyone who is in Korea and thinking about new glasses. The store guy was incredibly nice, and everyone was so helpful. 

6 comments:

  1. Our insurance company thanks you and Korea. lol That's really great. Can't wait to see them in person. Just 8 days away!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I don't mean to sound like a crazy person, but when I searched "teaching in Korea" your blog came up and I've been reading it on and off all day since it's more interesting than the official school sites. It sounds like you've had a great experience in Korea, so I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind letting me get in touch with other questions. I was teaching in Taiwan from 2006-2009 and it was fantastic! I'm back in Canada now but I miss Asia everyday! (Really think long and hard before going back home) Anyways just wanted to know more about the company you went over with and your experiences with the staff there, as well as the area in which you lived, etc. My email is lindsey.leamen@gmail.com. Any comments/advice for working there would be much appreciated! I really enjoyed (both of) your styles of writing - seems like an amazing year! Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsey! That's awesome to hear that you have been reading our blog, thanks for the comments! I will definitely send you an email as soon as I get the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning! Thank you for the information on Davich! One of their stores is most convenient to our home. We have to get glasses for our 5 year old twins, do you know if they also have frames for little kids?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! i am heading to seoul this june! where is this Davich store located at? for some reason i can't go into their site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there! My name is David Yoon and, I am the one who cared you when you visit Davich flagship store in Myoung dong. I definately remember you guys and you must recognise me if you see my profile.
    I recently got out from Davich and, opened my own store.
    Here is the blog below
    Http://blog.naver.com/leonneoptical
    Email : Leonneoptical@naver.com
    Phone : 02 - 907 - 8277
    If you guys visit me next time.
    I will do my best to care you guys better than last time !
    I deeply happy to see the comment you left here.
    Deeply appreciative .
    Then, I will look forward to seeing you guys again and
    have a happy time where you are

    Best regards

    David Yoon

    ReplyDelete