Thursday, February 24, 2011

The End of Orientation, and the Start of Something New

I first want to start off by answering Jaimes question! I can't narrow it down to the most interesting though, because there are just so many new things that I learn about Korea everyday. For now though, an interesting thing in Korea that I have noticed are the showers! In my dorm room, and apparently everywhere else in Korea, the shower is actually connected to the sink, so that you can't turn on the shower without turning on the sink. It took a little getting used to, because you have to move the toilet paper, and anything that could get wet out of the way because your whole bathroom is literally your shower! 


Anyways, orientation is over! I'm going to say a lot of cliches right now, but it is so true. Time flew by so fast. I can't believe that I've spent 8 days in Busan already. I've loved my time here, and it is only about an hour away by train (cheap as well!) so I will definitely be back to enjoy its beaches during the Spring. I've met so many cool people, and made a lot of friends. I've connected with people from Canada, California, Virginia, and...Guam? Yup, Guam! Hats off to EPIK because I think they did a great job, and if it was a little iffy at times, they always did their best to fix it. I don't have a picture of Jenn and I's classroom supervisor and teacher aid but maybe she will post it for you :) Young Kim and Rebecca were awesome, and the guest lecturers at this orientation gave us so much useful information. But why talk about it when I can just show you? We have this really awesome EPIK video that they made for us of the whole orientation. I'm going to try and upload it here and hopefully it works!
Aside from orientation, Jenn and I found out where we will be teaching in Daegu! She will be teaching elementary school students at Gosan Elementary, and I will be teaching middle school students at Maeho Middle School. I'm a little nervous--actually, I'm petrified, but I'm also very motivated to do my best. My main concern right now is classroom management, and I hope to curb that problem before it starts by having a clear set of classroom rules. But thats enough teacher talk for now (dont worry, plenty more to come!).

The most important thing that we learned today?? Jenn and I, are in the SAME DISTRICT!! Which means that we are a lot closer than we thought we would be to each other. And I looked up our schools--and got even better news! Our schools can't possibly be more than 5-7 minutes by car from each other. Now hopefully they give us housing in between our schools so we can be even closer to each other, but Jenn and I are preparing for the fact that we might actually be living on the outside of our schools. Not as awesome as living near each other, but we would still be super close regardless! 

So thats my update, don't know how long it will be till my next one. We can't get internet in our apartments until we get our ARC (Alien Registration Cards--an ID pretty much), and that wont happen for at least two weeks from Monday. And of course, school is starting! Fingers crossed that the first day isn't a complete disaster! Will let you all know how that goes as soon as I can. Bye!

3 comments:

  1. Jenn and I are in the video...at 2:06 pause the video, I'm next to that girl, getting my blood drawn. Ouch!

    At 3:18, look for Jenn, she gets a center pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you two before I looked here!!! A mom knows her babies and her babies boyfriends!!! The video is awesome. What a great program you chose. Good luck on the next part of your journey. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. I wish that I can just click like like in Facebook .Have fun with the Middle school students. It will be interesting to know about them. Love you.

    ReplyDelete