Sunday, February 20, 2011

Jenn's First Blog about Food!!!

Hi everyone!
Breakfast!
I have been eating Korean food for a few days now, and I can honestly tell you I have eaten many dishes that were not only unfamiliar to me in taste, but also in looks, smells, and textures. The following is an overview of what I have noticed regarding food customs and my experience trying completely unknown foods.


No matter if it is breakfast, lunch or dinner, a few dishes are always served: kimchi, rice and a lettuce mixture. Dessert consists of some type of fruit (sweet oranges from Jeju island are my favorite!) The juice is served hot. Napkins are only in a couple wall dispensers…I guess if one is using chopsticks, one does not require napkins. Occasionally I walk over and grab some. Speaking of chopsticks…the Korean chopsticks are metal and much heavier than the ones I am used to. I had thought I was fairly proficient at using chopsticks, but these metal ones are tricky! My rice falls apart and it’s challenging to pick up with the slippery metal. A few times each meal I fumble like an idiot. Luckily, I am surrounded by people learning too (Fluke is already pro). Plus, the heavy foods like fried pork and large kimchi pieces are frustrating just to pick up, let alone hold them long enough to move from the plate to my mouth!
Jenns Lunch
Now, onto my food adventures J
I have tried this fish soup thing (No, I did not know it was fish when I took a small bowl). I have twice eaten squid (one tasted “interesting” and the other was totally red—I thought it was a different kimchi-like vegetable food. It was too spicy and I couldn’t even taste the squid taste—whatever that is. I did not have the courage to try the dish of really tiny fish with eyeballs. Apparently it was just really salty and tasted good mixed in with a Korean version of spaghetti. I really like the pork dishes. One was marinated in this really yummy sauce. Another had thin sautéed pieces with onions. The chicken wings and other chicken dish were also yummy. The soups seem to be hit or miss for me. I either really like it (the one with vegetables and tofu was excellent) or strongly dislike it (the fish one). Oh, and although kimchi is served at breakfast, I have not had the courage to start my day with it. Maybe in a couple days…
Flukes Meatfest
I hope you enjoy the blog and if you have questions/suggestions for postings, let us know!
Love and miss you all,
Jenn

6 comments:

  1. Love the post Jen!! Can't wait to read more about your food adventures; you're far braver than I am for the record! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i love food blogs lol. seems like youre having a blast there. i think metal chopsticks are pretty difficult for everyone, which i never understood why they use metal chopsticks, because so much of Korean food is suuuper slippery. MISS YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah! and thanks Jenn for making me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I have a question for ya both :) so far, what is the MOST interesting thing that you and fluke have come across in Korea? ( I'm keeping the brain juices a-flowing for ya!!!!)yay Korea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Pics Jenn. All I can say is remember, you have always been open to new foods. After all, you used to eat oysters out of the can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Metal chopsticks! Way to save trees! I like your food blog. Kimchi with every meal is interesting.
    Many food places in Thailand will provide you with rolls of bath tissue for use as napkins.
    I don't mind as long as it's clean.
    My solution: I always carry a folded bath tissue and some napkins in my purse.

    ReplyDelete