Saturday, February 19, 2011

Orientation is kinda like...college?

Well, thats me and Jenn there on the right. Pretty cool, I'm not exactly digging my pic, but she looks good :) We are in our EPIK sweaters, cool logo huh? Sorry about the bad quality photo, took it with my ipod touch. Anyways, this was our welcoming ceremony. There were about 400 of us in this huge auditorium and there were the usual welcoming speeches, etc. etc. They also had some cool cultural performances. There was this drumming thing, which would have been cool to take a pic of but I didn't really get the courage to snap a photo until the second and third performances. Didn't want to bother the people sitting behind me! Anyways, I eventually said who cares and pictures of the next performances! The performers in pink did this kinda dance thing where they floated/twirled around and each dancer had a small drum pad that they hit in tune with the music. The second one was like a musical thing, pretty entertaining. Will try to take some film next time so you guys can get an idea of what I'm talking about! 


So yeah, they got us all hyped up for orientation, and then we actually had it. And I gotta say, it is exactly like going to school...for the whole day. We had two classes in the morning from 9-12:20, and then an hour break for lunch. Then we had two more classes from 2-5:20. Thats SIX hours of lecture. And don't get me wrong, they were very informative and helpful, it has just been so long since I've been on the college grind (lol, ok only like half a year) but it was still a very long day of lecture. They went over topics like effective co-teaching strategies, classroom management, and lesson planning. Very useful, but so much information!! Oh, and that wasn't even the end of our day!! After a nice dinner (will devote a whole post on food later, cause food deserves its own post), we had a Survival Korean class from 7-8:10 PM. WOW. What a long day of studying. I don't think I even did that much studying during college! But yeah, Survival Korean was just them teaching us about the Korean language and some useful phrases. Today we learned how to say where we were from, what country, what we were doing (English teachers!), and numbers. Learned that the United States in Korean is "Mi-gook." Again, pretty useful, but my brain was like screaming for a break by that point! Lucky for me, we got...3 or 4 more days of this schedule. So I will be fully trained or at least full of information by the end of this week. Sweet. I guess.


I feel like I had more to say, but just got back from a long walk around Busan and I'm wicked (heard some England dude say that in one of my classes...thought that was an east coast thing!) tired so until next time dudes and dudettes.


chyeeeaahhhhhhhh

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Sounds amazing and fun too. The pics are great. So good to see you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete